Prado door opening

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 12:58
ThreadID: 72160 Views:6863 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of purchasing a camper trailer & prado/pajero. Wondering how long A frame needs to be for rear door of vehicle to clear stone guard on opening to allow access to back of vehicle. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 14:16

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 14:16
Hi Johno,

I can't help with a measurement, but with Kimberley Kampers it's the hand brake that the door will hit. I've heard that some people shorten the handle, to allow the door clearance and then use a steel tube to operate the brake.

Someone on a previous post suggested that Kimberley had a modification that changed the position of the handbrake.

With the number of vehicles that have side opening rear doors, I would think other manufacturers would be able to help with this as well.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 382639

Reply By: Member - Anthony G (ACT) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 14:24

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 14:24
Had a similar problem with my Coota Camper. Made up a new plate to move the handbrake back about 120mm. Now only hits if the vehicle is turned to the right, straight ahead no problems.
AnswerID: 382640

Follow Up By: lozgoneshopping - Friday, Sep 25, 2009 at 21:51

Friday, Sep 25, 2009 at 21:51
Hi Anthony,

Brand new to camping.

About to buy a coota from an interstate seller.

Would you mind sharing how you find your coota.

It's very hard to find any info on coota,
FollowupID: 652417

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 14:31

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 14:31
Hi. I have a 90 series Prado. But my experience may apply to you. There are various tongue heights and lengths, even tho they are all 50mm square tube in the towbar. When I raised the Prado suspension (a 50mm lift), I had to lower the tongue to keep the van level, and, guess what, that gave me more clearance between the trailer drawbar and the door of the Prado!! In my case it was handbrake and even the actual hitch if the locking mechanism was 'up' not 'down'. Even the jockey wheel can get in the way.
So beware of simple answers to your question!! there are many variables, and it's a bugger when you can''t get into the back of the Prado for the block you want to put under the jockey wheel to lift the trailer clear!! Been there, done that!!
AnswerID: 382641

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 14:42

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 14:42
VERY LONG

Hi Johno,
I have a Prado and a Challenge off road camper. I have hydraulic brakes, so the break mechanism sticks up above the swing line of the door opening. The door passes over the brake cylinder, but can't get past the "brake handle". This means I can only access the left drawer in the Prado. If I had electric brakes, I would have enough room to get the right draw half open (as the prado door would then hit the stone guard.

Image Could Not Be Found

Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 382643

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 14:54

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 14:54
Poor Johno!! You thought it was a simple question!!
FollowupID: 650241

Reply By: AlanTH - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 15:21

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 15:21
I've just altered the Pioneer camper we have for just that reason, damn nuisance having to jack knife the vehicle to get into the fridge.
Luckily I'd ordered our camper with an extra frame in to take a dinghy outboard but have never bothered (I've already got a boat I never use!) so I took it out and moved everything back by about 35 cms.
Only finished it yesterday and the Prado door now clears the winch for the hard floor by about 5cms.
I've just measured the distance between the centre pin of the Treg hitch and the winch which is the first thing it would hit, and it's approx. 78cms.
Cheers.
Johno.
AnswerID: 382644

Follow Up By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 17:04

Thursday, Sep 10, 2009 at 17:04
Did the same Alan,

Just ran the tape from the far side of back door with door open about 45 -55 degree's to tow ball 950mm .

Hope it helps.

I also trimmed a little of the top of the handle for the hand brake on the tow coupling so the door would swing over the top of the tow hitch. If you understand what I'm on about. Clear as mud.

Cheers Scoof . :-)
FollowupID: 650257

Reply By: Gronk - Friday, Sep 11, 2009 at 01:12

Friday, Sep 11, 2009 at 01:12
Geez, its so easy with a lift up tailgate !!!!!

But as you've seen, so many variables.....what sort of trailer ?? Can it be ordered with a longer drawbar ?? ( I know KK do a drawbar extension )

Will it have brakes ?? What sort ??

As you have seen here, the stoneguard doesn't seem as important as the brake lever etc ....
AnswerID: 382708

Reply By: HGMonaro - Friday, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:56

Friday, Sep 11, 2009 at 11:56
We have a Goldstream wind-up with a Treg and the Prado's door goes over that fine (don't even think the hand brake get's in the way but I could be wrong) but the door hits the gas bottles unless I jack-knife it a little. If I had a stone guard it would be the 1st thing it would hit. At one stage I had thought of getting a longer hitch tongue (or changing the 9kg gas bottles to 4.5ers) but it really hasn't bothered us. I have to un-hitch the car to put the bed ends out (technically possible to leave hitched but we like to level camper front-to-rear as well) so I can then get at the fridge in the back of the car. If we have the camper on and want to open the fridge, having the door at it widest we can still get in and access the fridge.

Cheers, Nige
AnswerID: 382757

Reply By: Member - Tom V (WA) - Friday, Sep 11, 2009 at 15:47

Friday, Sep 11, 2009 at 15:47
Hi Johno
I have a 120 prado & jayco outback camper. door swings open OK, does not hit brake handle or anything else.
cheers Tom
AnswerID: 382772

Reply By: Member - Ray Mc (WA) - Friday, Sep 11, 2009 at 17:31

Friday, Sep 11, 2009 at 17:31
Gday Johno

I had an '03 Pajero when I bought an Outback Camper (WA version). One of the questions I was asked was the type of vehicle being used, when I mentioned Pajero, 'long draw bar' was written on the order.

Hopefully, manufacturers should be able to assist in allowing easy access to the rear of the tow vehicle. If they don't offer, make sure you asik.

Cheers

Ray
AnswerID: 382779

Reply By: mynance - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 18:17

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 18:17
I have an NT Pajero and tow a Avan Cruiseliner, I can only open the door far enough to fit my arm in. I will be changing the coupling to on of Vehicle Component's DO 35 www.vehicle components.com.au/content/contentDetails.asp?ContentID=652 This should allow plenty of clearance.
AnswerID: 382885

Sponsored Links